First Year Connacht ‘A’ Soccer Champions

Colaíste Éinde First Year Boys team were crowned champions of Connacht this afternoon, after beating another Galway team Calasanctius, Oranmore 3-2 in the Connacht ‘A’ soccer final in Deacy Park, Galway.


1st Yr Connacht Champions

                      First Year Boys celebrate after receiving the Connacht Cup

Coláiste Éinde started the game very brightly, looking strong and confident. It only took 5 minutes before they were in the lead.  A long kick out from goalkeeper Joe Lydon, landed to Christopher Horgan and from here it was Horgan with a fantastic finish.  Colaiste Einde were 1-0 up. Oranmore worked extremely hard to get back into the game for the next ten minutes. A brilliant corner kick in the 15th minute was excellently saved by Joe Lydon. Then, a poor offside call against  Colaiste Einde in the 20th minute cost a sure goal opportunity. The disappointment was short lived and a few minutes later after a bad foul on one of the Colaiste Einde players, Evan Murphy scored from a free kick 35 yards out. The crowd went wild.  Colaiste Einde are now two up . Half time was fast approaching and Alex Ariguzo picked up an unfortunate yellow card after a collision with the goalkeeper. At half time Colaiste Einde were up 2-0.One change on the Colaiste Einde team at halftime. Alex Ariguzo made way for Osas Agabouza. As the second half got underway, Oranmore were clearly refusing to give up and began to put Colaiste Einde under a lot of pressure.  Evan Reen at left back came to the rescue  making some very crucial clearances. After a couple of good chances, Oranmore got one back after a brilliant through ball, eight  minutes into the second half. Game on now.  The crowd began to get louder. Chances came and went for both  sides.  Joey Casey was unfortunate not to score from a header after a great corner kick by Evan Murphy. Colaiste Einde were holding on with ten minutes to go. Christopher Horgan received  a yellow card after a hard tackle. Osas Agabouza then got into a collision with the Oranmore goalkeeper resulting in the goalkeeper to be taken off on a stretcher. After a short delay the game was resumed. What a finish we were in store for.  Time was surely up and Colaiste Einde were holding on. Another goal. Brilliantly finished by Adam Healy. 3-1 to Colaiste Einde. Surely it will be there day. All eyes were on the referee. The crowd began to whistle. One final long ball from Oranmore through the defence and another goal. The crowd went silent. It was not to be for long and within a minute, The final whistle blows. Colaiste Einde are champions.  A brilliant performance by all.

By Luke Palmer TY

Daragh McDonagh Photographer

Connacht champions

Delighted Colaíste Éinde supporters invade the pitch after the final whistle

Facilities & Activites

  • Language Laboratory
  • I.T. Department
  • Science Laboratory
  • Career Guidance
  • Art Room
  • Drama Hall
  • Study Facilities
  • Learning Support Room
  • Sports Pitches
  • Basketball Court
  • Pastoral Care
  • School Chapel